Friday, September 11, 2009

Remembering 9/11, Firefighter Pat Brown and Others that Lost their Lives

Remembering the tragic events of 9/11 and rejoicing in a new book covering the life of a 9/11 firefighter that lost his life saving others

Today is September 11, 2009, 8 years after the tragic 9/11 events that changed America. Today seems like an appropriate day to reflect and think about that day and all the men, women and children that had their lives shortened or altered for life by the death of a loved one.

I remember exactly what I was doing that morning, I was on my way to a property inspection in Austin, Texas. On the radio they broke in to say a plane had crashed into one of the World Trade Center. At the time I didn’t realize the severity of the situation and didn’t pay much attention. Later I, along with all of America became glued to the television, watching in horror as newsreel repeated the days events.

I actually had been in one of the towers in 1994 when I was in NY for an internship, I worked at the Express store one day while I was there. It was a weird feeling realizing I had been there and now it was gone. I tried imagining how it would seem to be there, at the bottom of the towers, realizing the building was collapsing all around you. What an awful thing to have to go through.

I’ve been back to ground zero probably 4 times over the last few years. The first time I went I just stood in the middle of the street gazing at the big empty hole. Now when I go I stare into the hole and remember all the people that died that day.

Captain Patrick J. Brown of the FDNY is one of those people. He was one of the brave public servants that risked their life to help others in evacuating the World Trade Center.

In my random searches of the internet, I found a news story about Captain Patrick J. Brown and a book about his life, “Miss You, Pat.” It is fitting to bring up the book, not only because it is 9/11 but also it interested me because he was an avid yogi. The book cover says it all with a photo of Patrick on a yoga mat.

The book shares stories and memories from friends and family, as a result, it is a very intimate and touching book. Proceeds of the book benefit Bent On Learning.

To order, please click here.

No comments: