Friday, January 21, 2011

First Crochet Project: Amigurumi Dolls

I recently took some books to Half Price Books to see what I could get. (Purging) They have you wait in the store while they review what you brought, I am sure this is a purposeful tactic to get you to buy books. It worked.

I looked through the craft books hoping to find a book on knitting with sock yarn and stumbled upon a great book "Crobots". (See image to the left.) It is a great little book with the cutest amigurumi creatures. I particularly like the Geisha at the end; it has 4 wheels though, meaning it is hard, so I will tackle it after I have made a few more of the other ones.

One problem, I don't know how to crochet.

The book has instructions on how to get started and how hard can it be right? I knit. I sew. I can crochet. LOL

I bought the appropriate hook at Jo-Ann's and some cheap yarn and went home to get started. It says in the book a good crocheter can make one of these things in a few hours. New people, a little longer. I'm on the new side.

The instructions as they turn out are not that easy to follow. Maybe if you already know what you are doing, they are a good refresher. Me? I found them confusing and I read them S-L-O-W-L-Y and over and over again.

I finally gave up and went on youtube and found a bunch of videos on how to get started. Youtube is a GREAT resource to learn just about anything. There are good and bad videos so you have to search a little but I saw great tips in most of the videos I watched.

After a few tries at the "magic circle" I managed to make a few cute amigurumi dolls/monsters.

White Amigurumi Dog
This cute dog is my first amigurumi. A friend suggested the pink collar and I like it, it makes her sassy.

Techno Monster



This guy is so cute. He originally had old style head phones on that went over his head. I modified to to make them white and gave him a little "mp3" player.

Audrey
Audrey is my favorite. She is quirky, made from random things in my house. I didn't quite have everything the book said so I improvised and I think she came out better. I particularly love her hat.

I'm having a lot of fun making these...I can't wait to get started on my next one! If you want to see the rest of my amigurumi, check out my etsy store. 

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Ummm, I hope this is what you are sending me as one of your five!

ThatsMyTri said...

Melissa, which one do you want?! :) Maybe I can make you a special one...hmmm. I wonder if I can create on that is like A** man?!