Saturday, April 30, 2011

Fabric bulletin boards made easy

New custom fabric bulletin board I created for a client. These are fairly easy to do, below are the basic steps to create your own. This particular one is 2' x 2'.



Materials needed:
  • 2' x 2' plywood. Thickness is up to you. I picked one that was thick enough for nail heads. 
  • 2 spools of grosgrain ribbon. 
  • Ruler
  • Staple gun (I used 5/8 staples)
  • Decorative fabric
  • Coordinating backing fabric
  • Tape
  • Mallet
  • Needle Nose Pliers


For this one since the overall size was small, I used the ruler as a guide to space the ribbon. The larger the board the wider you can make the space between ribbons. I taped down the ribbons into place and wrapped the ribbon around the side so it was easy to staple down.


Once the fabric and ribbons were stapled on, I took off most of the tape and used the mallet to pound the decorative nail heads in. This takes some work. I recommend buying extra packages. I used the needle nose pliers to hold the nail in place while I hammered it in. You don't have to put nails in at the edge where the ribbons cross unless you are not framing. I frame mine so I don't use nails on the edges.




I added a backer piece of fabric just to finish off the piece. Not that anyone sees the back but it completes the work. Now it is ready for a frame.

I made one of these a few years ago and bought an old picture that had an awesome frame, took the picture out and put my bulletin board in the frame. I was trying to recreate the awesome bulletin board that was behind Rachel's desk on Friends. I'm not sure that was the best idea I ever had, the frame cost me $200. But, it was and still is an awesome looking bulletin board! If you are looking to frame yours, I suggest thinking about making your board the size of a standard frame that you can get for less money at Michael's or Hobby Lobby.

Here is my original fabric bulletin board.



1 comment:

Melissa Edwards said...

CC, I still love that bulletin board you had made. It was so gorgeous!