Sunday, April 08, 2012

Crafting a Raised Garden Bed on the Cheap



Have you ever shopped at Aldi? It is a grocery store that has what I would call off brand items and their selection is limited to maybe one or two brands per item. The deals are good and they have "Special Buys" each week. This week they have gardening items and I picked up a few of them to start my gardening efforts. I've been wanting to grow my own vegetables for awhile now, this seemed like a good push in the right direction.

I bought two of the raised bed kits. They are less than $30 and perfect for a beginner gardener. They were easy to put together, I only needed a drill, everything else comes in the kit. The kit even shows you different configurations you can make depending on the number of kits you buy.

I chose to just do two simple 4' x 4' beds. I filled them with my own compost...and used a plastic wheel barrel I got from Aldi last year. They have the same one right now on sale for about $30.

I also bought four of the berry plants, two raspberry and two blackberry. I planted them along the back fence, something I have wanted to do for years.

After working in the yard for two days, it is finally looking a little more like a yard and less forgotten.

Here is the start to the beds, maybe I'll actually plant something soon.



No comments: